Submit to: Kayleigh Gunnoud, firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction: The Takoma Langley Crossroads Development Authority (CDA) is a business association that manages the Takoma Langley Crossroads Commercial District in the City of Takoma Park, Maryland. Our mission includes the maintenance and beautification of the commercial district. One way we address this objective is through the commissioning of public art projects. The CDA has previously commissioned 3 public murals, located on the walls of commercial properties in visible areas benefiting from activation. We seek to commission an additional mural in the Crossroads at the Takoma Langley Crossroad Center Shopping Plaza on the archway of the building’s façade. The shopping plaza is located in a prominent, heavily trafficked area at the intersection of University Blvd and New Hampshire Ave in the heart of Maryland’s International Corridor. It contains a diverse and vibrant mix of immigrant business owners and customers and serves as a regional destination for international specialty goods and products.
Project Partners: The CDA is working together with the property owner, JBG Smith.
-Enliven the façade of a 1950’s style suburban shopping plaza that has seen minimal changes over the past 50 year’s.
-Install an engaging, placemaking mural that captures the eye of pedestrian and automotive traffic along New Hampshire Ave and brands the Takoma Langley Crossroads as a unique, lively, and vibrant destination.
- Archway is over the entrance to an alleyway connecting two buildings in the shopping plaza
- Current surface material is concrete
- Signs cannot be painted over
- Scaffolding will be required and will be the responsibility of the artist
(see exhibits below)
- Mural designs may be abstract or incorporate themes that reflect the Takoma Langley Crossroads and its vision for the future (connectivity, possibility, and the entrepreneurial spirit depicted in an international context).
- Mural designs should be lively and energetic to invigorates the neutral concrete and rust colors of the shopping plaza. Color pallet should reflect this goal, and may incorporate bright colors with an international influence.
- Design should be simple enough to be absorbed and comprehended safely by vehicular traffic on New Hampshire Ave.
- Artwork must be an original work
Scope of Services
- Meeting(s) with the project team to review, modify, and approve the final design.
- Final Concept drawing.
- Installation of scaffolding or rental of a hydraulic lift along with all mandated safety training and certifications.
- Fabrication and installation of the proposed mural.
- Upon completion of the project, provision of technical information on materials and future maintenance.
- All materials, labor, and equipment used to fabricate and install the mural shall be provided by the artist(s).
- If awarded, artist(s) must be able to demonstrate insurance to cover the installation of the mural. Artist(s) will need to obtain a Certificate of Insurance with the Takoma Langley Crossroads Development Authority and JBG Smith listed as additional insured, with a general liability limit of $1M/$2M and $1M umbrella insurance.
- Artist(s) name and contact information
- Biographical information or resume, including previous mural experience, portfolio/images of previous work
- Conceptual sketch(es) in color showing the proposed mural. Proposals may contain up to 3 original design options
- A descriptive narrative of the proposed mural
- Timeline and work plan
The Budget for the project is $10,000 inclusive of artist compensation, materials, transportation, installation (including any required installation equipment such as scaffolding or hydraulic lifts), and required insurance.
Friday, July 26, 2019 by 11:59pm: Proposals are due to Kayleigh Gunnoud, email@example.com
Friday, August 23, 2019: Expected award notice date
September 2019 Meeting with Project Team on Finalized Design
October 2019: Installation and Project completion
Proposals will be reviewed and juried by CDA staff, business owners from the shopping plaza, and property owner JBGS. The following criteria will be used in the selection process:
- Submittal of all requirements as outlined in RFP
- Proven ability to create distinctive artwork as exhibited by past work
- Originality, creativity and uniqueness of proposed artwork
- Contextual fit of proposal with site location
- Artist’s proven track record/ability to complete the work on time and within budget.
Questions? Please contact Kayleigh Gunnoud at (301)445-7910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit proposals to Kayleigh Gunnoud at email@example.com by 11:59pm on Friday, July 26, 2019
Archway Dimensions (Front) https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvphiaomeexja9d/Dimensions%20%28Front%29.jpg?dl=0
Archway Dimensions (Back)